If you are looking for a life-changing high school experience, interested in learning with motivated students from around the world EMIS is the perfect place for you.
The Eastern Mediterranean International School (EMIS) is a unique international boarding high school in Israel that fosters intercultural understanding and promotes personal and social leadership. Through a shared two-year educational and living experience EMIS educates towards values of respect, diversity and glocal citizenship
EMIS students are 10th to 12th graders, 16-18 years old, who come from over 50 different countries.
Our student population includes 20% Israeli students (Jews and Arabs), 20% Arab and Muslim students, and 60% international students, making EMIS a truly international learning experience. Students are offered scholarships to assure a merit-based selection process.
EMIS is located in Hakfar Hayarok, (just a few minutes from Tel Aviv) Israel in the Middle East, a region that has
both much to offer and much to gain from such a school. EMIS is part of the Hakfar-Hayarok – educational campus (Hebrew for “Green Village”) , a premier environmental leadership school and a youth village. At Hakfar-Hayarok students are offered a safe, secure and rich learning environment while allowing direct contact with outside Israeli and Palestinian communities.
Students and staff have full access to the village’s extensive educational, athletic, music and arts facilities and leverage its broad activity offerings.
Through a shared educational and living experience the EMIS program educates towards values of respect, diversity and global citizenship. Our students, whether local or international, can choose to join the EMIS community in the 10th grade, where they would complete a one year Pre-IB Program, with the hopes of transitioning into the IB Diploma Programme for the 11th & 12th grades, or apply directly to the IB Diploma Programme in the 11th grade. All students participate in extracurricular and community programs that add an enriching tapestry of individual, group, and community activities. EMIS’ mission is enhanced by the innovative school-based entrepreneurial leadership, Sustainability and Peace (ESP) program that promotes global citizenship (global yet local) through unique experiential workshops, key-note speakers and student-led projects, that offer our students and staff tools to become change makers.
EMIS students choose one course from each of six academic groups. Two languages (first and acquired), Humanities, Sciences, Math and Arts. Three courses are taken at the Standard Level (150 hours) and three at the Higher Level (240 hours). Students study and take examinations in English.
Additionally, all students complete a course in Theory of Knowledge and write an Extended Essay, a 4000 word dissertation on a subject and topic of their choice. The students are also required to participate in a “Creativity, Activity and Service” (CAS) program that enables all students to take part in areas of their interest such as arts, athletics and community service.
Some of the CAS programs that are offered at EMIS :
Model United Nations, Glee Club, Journalism Club, EMIS Band, Ted X, Theatre, Robotics, Basketball, Football, Yoga, Hip Hop, Volleyball, Budo for Peace, Eco-Peace, and more.
The Pre-IB Program at EMIS is a one year program for students in grade 10 who aspire to join the IB Diploma Program in years 11 and 12. The program involves some externally examined IGCSE courses in combination with tailor-made, teacher-designed courses that aim to develop research skills and critical thinking.
All subjects are taught in English, and students are encouraged to develop their English language proficiency with an individualized approach, whether they are excelling from beginner to intermediate or are a native speaker developing their literary analysis skills. In every course of the Pre-IB program, students will work collaboratively with their peers from all over the world, and in doing so, develop intercultural understanding and respect.
At EMIS, our International faculty is passionate about education and is committed to the school’s mission and values. The EMIS faculty is composed of fully qualified, trained and experienced IB and Pre-IB teachers in their respective fields.
• Have been born in years 2005 or 2006, currently in 10th or 11th grade for IB program or 9th grade, 2007 for Pre-IB, upon application. Must be 15, 16 or 17 years old during 2021-2022.
• Be very good students, able to be independent learners and thinkers, and be able to study in English the high-level academic material of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma (www.ibo.org) or the Pre-IB program
• Have good spoken and written English (a strong advantage)
• Have demonstrated significant community involvement or leadership activity
• Be curious, and excited about learning in a different environment; open to new experiences, cultures and people, able to practice tolerance through living and sharing with peers from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds
EMIS is open to any of your inquiries either via email at [email protected] or you can join the official group of 2022 applicants (at which there are many current EMIS students and EMIS alumni willing to help) at the link: EMIS Facebook Applicants Page 2021.
To make your application process easier we would like to offer you an “EMIS Buddy” – a current student at EMIS from your country, who can provide some more information and guidance regarding the process. When you send us an email to request an EMIS Buddy, make sure to include your full name and country!
The yearly tuition is $32,000/year. We offer 5 levels of scholarships: 75%, 70%, 62%, 55% & 40%. You can choose any of the offers and backup your request with 3 salary slips or yearly financial report.
The scholarship offered by the school will cover:
• Boarding expenses (Dormitory, meals, etc.)
• Exam fees
• Annual trip
• Off campus curricular/school excursions
Additional anticipated costs not covered by the scholarship:
• Travel to and from the school, including travel (if any) during all breaks and local holidays. During the summer holiday, the boarding house will be closed, during the other holidays the boarding house remains open and staff remains on duty
• Annual health Insurance fee – $1150
• Notebooks and School Supplies
• Pocket money
• Visa fees
• $280 art supplies for art & dance students
20% of 1st year parental payment should be paid as down-payment within two weeks upon receiving the EMIS offer.
Cancellation prior to school start date:
• Within 30 days of acceptance and no later than June 1st, 2022– full down-payment refund.
• Between June 1st and July 1st, 2022 – 50% of down-payment and refund.
• After July 1st – no down-payment refund.
Cancellation by student or by the school after school start date:
• Before November 1st, 2022 – 50% of tuition refund
• Before December 1st, 2022- 25% tuition refund
• After winter break 2023- no tuition refund
Israel is a safe place. Despite the stereotypes, Israel is a well-developed country that is renowned for its hi-tech industry and world-class sustainability.
Our student body comprises students from the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern regions, along with students from all over the world with more than 50 nationalities.
At EMIS, there are over 60 clubs with various types and missions! Therefore, students have countless opportunities to learn from first-hand experience as they get themselves immersed in the diversity with their peers who own the same passion! Students can either join or establish a new club to build up a diverse community.
To assist students, provide them with more opportunities and especially ensure that voices are heard, EMIS has 70 student committees independently led by students including:
• Boarding House Committee: Manage issues concerning boarding life
• Academic Committee: Assist students with personal advice on academics; receive and submit complaints regarding academic issues
• Local Engagement Committee: Provide information regarding local events (Events in Tel Aviv; events in Israel; …) so that international students from EMIS could get more engaged with the local community.
• Cultural Diversity Committee: Promote cultural diversity at EMIS by organizing events with unique cultural traditions from all 6 continents.
• Global Issues Committee: Create a platform of discussion for EMIS students regarding Global news and events
– Finance Committee: Work with school sponsors and attribute budget for clubs at EMIS under formal training
• Marketing Committee: Regulate and organize marketing projects for EMIS under formal training
EMIS provides Grade 10 students with the Pre-IB program and Grade 11 and 12 students with the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
Grade 10 Pre-IB class will move to IB at grade 11, unless they will not get an average of C and above. In this case, they will have the option to redo Pre-IB.
Click to fill application form